Wednesday, October 26, 2011

ARC Review: Heart of Darkness by Lauren Dane


Heart of Darkness
A Bound by Magick Novel
Book One


Meriel Owen, next in line to control the largest organization of witches in the country, is asked to investigate the owner of a notorious club reportedly siphoning magic from the font of the Clan. It’s a direct violation of the Clan Code of Conduct, but one look at Dominic Bright and Meriel’s willing to make a deal. One taste of the sexually feral outlaw witch, and she’s eager to go further: he’s her bond mate, a legal conduit into the world of Clan witches and their magic.


Playing by the rules isn’t Dominic’s style, but bonding with Meriel—night after explosive night—is. However, Meriel has unwittingly invited someone else into her world: Dominic’s mother, a dangerous and poisonously influential magic addict whose lust for death and power corrupts all she touches. Now her shadow is closing in on Meriel, her Clan, and the man Meriel loves, and it’s casting them all into the inescapable heart of darkness.




I obtained the above information from Ms. Dane's website.


I am not new to Ms. Dane's work, that I can say. However, what I can't say enough of is how much of a wonderful story teller Ms. Dane is. She is an Ace above the rest and this new series will show you just that.  She will cast a spell on you that will make you fall in love with the story she has crafted for you. You will become completely mesmerized by this tale of the world of the witches she has brewed up. This is not your Mama's story of witches... In fact, Ms Lauren makes those stories look like dust in the wind.

This is a fabulous start to a brand new series and I am fortunate that I got an early peek in that world and believe me..... Now I am going to try to cast my own spell to have the next book in my hands~  right now. It is just that good. I am looking in my scurry bowl.... I will have it one day................... 

Let me give you a peek into the world of The Owen Clan... This is a powerful group of witches. But they are not your normal soft, sweet cuddly little witches that only come out for Halloween. Nope, not these women! These women kick some serious ass with just one flick of their finger. I tap on computer keys with my fingertips in hopes of bringing to life what their story did to me, and with one of their fingers they could bring down a few buildings or maybe a city or two if they truly wanted. These women are not just women, they are woven into each other and their mother Earth and they are not a group you want to piss off. 
Meriel Owen is the daughter to the most powerful witch around the world.... Edwina Owen. Also, better known as The Owen Clan.



Meriel has the weight of the world on her shoulders or should I say she has big shoes to fill. She has been raised all her life to take over the reigns of The Owen Clan when her mother is ready to pass it down to her. Meriel is a phenomenal witch, but what caught my heart is how devoted she is to her clan. It goes beyond that though, because Meriel not only wants to protect the witches within her clan, but she wants to protect, educate and join forces with those that are not in a clan. So, she doesn't just look out for her own.... But for others as well. And let me tell you one thing about Meriel.... You do not want to piss her off or mess with any of her witches. Because when you do.... Ohhhh wow, the fury she would bring down on you - you would not survive. She is a strong woman, independent to the core with her life in front of her... Until one night.... in the Heart of Darkness.... Her life will change... Will it be for the better... or for the worst... Only way to find out... Because that faithful night is when she meets the man that will forever be branded in her heart...... 


Dominic.... Is a man that not many people have the pleasure of getting to know. He tends to keep to himself, but being the owner of Heart of Darkness kinda puts him out there for all to see. And believe me, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM! He takes pride in what he offers to his clientele. Not only a place to let loose for the evening but also allowing a sense of privacy to those that enter the doors... However, it takes a lot of magick to keep certain doors hidden from the eyes of the humans because his club not only caters to the human world... but also to the Other world. He uses his own magick and some stolen magick to keep that part of the club hidden. Because even though most of the paranormal creatures have come out in the world... some witches are still kind of hiding out... But when a certain clan gets wind of Dominic stealing their magick.... Well, let's just say there is always a price to pay for what you steal and the price Dominic will pay... may cost him more than he bargained for ....


These two people will give you an awesome story; because alone, they are great... but together, they are explosive. To watch what they can do - alone and together... is just spell bonding! But then you factor in their friends and family and this is one kick ass story.

Ms Dane created characters that you will find yourself cheering along, characters that will break your heart and mend it back up with a quick little spell. You will find characters that will make you fall in love and dream of that kind of bond. Characters that you will want to bitch slap into tomorrow. Characters that will simply bring you the best damn story ever!!! Ms. Dane created a story that simply rocked my world. Witches, spells, werewolves, greed, power, and passion are brewing up a storm in this book... and just wait till some of those combine together.... WOW....

Ms Lauren, I commend you on a job very well done. You have pushed all the buttons of a romantic reader, you have triggers all the desires for the paranormal creatures and you have delivered one hellva story! One I cannot wait to watch grown into more stories to come! Believe me, this is a story that you will want to read and maybe even re-rad. It is just that good.... Scratch that... It is just that freaking good! This story will enchant you all the way to the last page....



And just in case you are wondering.... This is book two... 
***did you hear my spell working to get book here now... in my hands...***


CHAOS BURNING
Bound By Magick, Book 2
Berkley Sensation (June 2012)



To find out more about Ms. Lauren Dane, please visit her website!


And remember... Keep it Dirty, Smutty & Hussy! 
  post signature

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cecile!
    Awesome review, I've been not so patiently waiting for this book! I can't wait to read it!!
    Lauren is the best and this is going to be a fantastic series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are some of the paragraphs all white and weird?

    Anyway, Lauren Dane :D I have been meaning to try more by her

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Lauren's book.I can't wait to read this one.Great review Cecile.

    ReplyDelete

I want to thank you for stopping by my place... I hope to see you again!!
I hope you enjoy my little bloggie home as much as I do!
With hugs, love and smiles... Cecile

My Fictional Smutty Boyfriend.... =)

"Quotes"