Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review: Wolf Signs by Vivian Arend (The Blackraven Reviews

Wolf Signs by Viv Arend
Publisher: Samhain
Genre: Paranormal, Shape-shifters
Length: Novella



Review Copy Received from Publisher

Summary: Talk about getting your signals crossed…

Granite Lake Wolves, Book 1

Robyn Maxwell doesn’t care that her brother has to cancel out on their backcountry ski trip. She can do it alone. The fact she’s deaf doesn’t make her survival skills any weaker. The chance to get away from it all and relax in the Yukon wilderness is just what she’s been craving.

Meeting wilderness guide Keil at the cabin starts cravings of another kind. Keil’s one hot hunk of ripped, tasty male. Now she has to deal with raging hormones as well as strange questions about wolves and mates and challenges to the death.

Keil was trying for a nice reflective retreat before challenging for the Alpha position of his Alaskan pack. He wasn’t planning on meeting the woman destined to be his mate, or finding out she’s not aware she has the genes of a wolf.

Between dealing with his accident-prone younger brother, a deaf mate with an attitude and an impending duel to the death, his week—and his bed—is suddenly full.

Far from the relaxing getaway any of them had in mind…

Product Warnings: Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “talking with your hands”. Includes dangerous use of sarcasm and hot nookie in a remote wilderness sauna.

Cecile Smutty Hussy’s Review:

This is my first Vivian Arend book and will not be my last... of course not. Because now I HAVE to read the rest of this series. Ms. Arend did a wonderful job of setting up the storyline, engrossing me with characters and their lives and just plan pulling me in and leaving me wanting more.

This is a very interesting paranormal read. It will take you out of the normal realm of what you are use to reading. I was truly delighted with Ms. Arend's writing voice. This story had me admiring my heroine, laughing my asre off with her sarcasm and loving her witty come backs! Then of course there are the hero and his brother of this story... OH MAN... Wooohooooo... Let me tell you when I say they are Hot... they are hot! They make me want to find my own werewolf mate! The loyal devotion from them, the possessiveness of each other and the explosive sex!! Oh yeah... Ms. Arend knows how to write some hot sex in a short story!

Craving peace and quiet is what Robyn wants more than anything. An experienced skier, she heads out for her favorite location, the Yukon wilderness. Needing to be away from her job, the demands of her life and just the daily grind of "talking" to people. Robyn thought she would be alone... Which was perfect! She got the camp site and was amazed that someone has kinda spruced up the place by adding a shower and sauna building. Now that is perfect! Now on to her perfect retreat... or so she thought until she walked out the sauna buck naked.... and ran smack into... "Something tall and hard and covered in.... Gore-Tex?"

Keil and TJ just wanted a few days away from their pack. Yep, pack... They are wolves. Looking to head to the camp site for a few days of just being surrounded by nature and each other, was what they were looking for... Not a naked woman coming out of the sauna! Or a mate either.
Dealing with the stepping down of their old leaders, Keil knew where he stood in the order line. He knew this was his chance... but he is also up against Jack. A worthy opponent but if he won, he knew that Jack's direction of leadership would not be for the best interest of the pack but for Jack. And now mix that into happening upon his mate in the middle of the woods... a little challenging for him. But what was more challenging was learning of his mate's hearing condition.

These three characters are all fun loving, sexy as hell and will make you giggle a few times. Oh and they will make you sweat more than if you were in the sauna with them ((evil laughter)). Robyn is a very independent woman, even suffering her hearing lost as a child; she is capable of anything. But feeling like odd man out with her adoptive parents and brother... she always felt a little like something was missing. Well... in the short span of a few days, Robyn's founds out something about herself that she has never known. But she takes it all in stride; which amazed me. I think I would have kinda freaked out a bit about all the information she had to deal with. But then having the hots for one of the sexiest men alive... well... There are upsides to everything right!

This story is short, so the happenings had to kinda happen fast. Which if you know me, I do not judge a book based on those qualities... So, I give the author credit for a job well done. Her storyline was very appealing... which means I will be reading more. Her character development was awesome... Because now I want to see if TJ gets his story and I also want to know if Robyn and Keil have a proper "honeymoon"... oh wait... Marriage first. Oh wait, does that happen in the paranormal world... or would that be the hot explosive mating sex?? Oh yeah, that is another thing Ms. Arend did an awesome job with! The way these two went about... "getting together" did not feel forced or manipulated. The flow felt nature ~ under the circumstances. And if you read paranormal, you know that finding one's mate is the key to their world and once found... they stop at nothing... Now do you want your own wolf.... I know I do! Great job Ms. Arend!


Rated#
Ravens and a
Recommended Read by Cecile Smutty Hussy!
This review is property of The Blackraven Reviews!

And remember... Keep it Dirty, Smutty & Hussy!
post signature

19 comments:

  1. Great review! 5 stars are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't Robyn just a treat - I love that first scene in the steam house...

    I really laughed at the antics..

    You remind me that I need to catch up on the other books in the series..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about this series. Seems like everyone around me is raving! LOL. Guess I better hope on the train.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this book for awhile,I think I'll read it soon,just because of this review.Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read this book as well as the next two in the series. Just absolutely great writing and such good stories. My only criticism is that Arend seems stuck on short novels or novellas. I really would like to see her sink her teeth into a full length novel and let her imagination get even wilder. VEry good review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wohoo sauna! Lol, yup that made me happy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle~ Hey there! Thank you! This is an awesome story! It deserved 5. Her storyline is awesome and the characters... well you will just have to read!

    Erotic Horizon~ Hey sweetie! Ohhh my gosh, I think I fell in love with Robyn. She is a trip! And omg... that first scene in the steam room was off the chart! Oh gosh, yeah, I laughed my butt off with her! She is one sharp cookie!
    I am glad that I could remind you hon! It really will be a good series to read!

    SVZ~ Oh my gosh, I read something that you have not read yet... *gasp* I cannot believe that!
    You better hop on this train honey! Hee hee!!

    Chris~ I bet one of those brothers could warm you up though... **waggles eyebrows** It is almost Friday! yayayay!

    elaing8~ You are too funny hon! I am glad that I could twist your arm to read this series!

    Dr J~ Hey there honey! Ohhh did you not fall in love with Robyn's wit! She is a true character!
    You are right, it would be a delight to see her go with a bigger novel!

    Blodeuedd~ Ohhh Blodeuedd, believe me it will make you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this review!!! Sounds like you just loved it!!! Definitely going on my TBR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully said, hon! Sounds like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Cecile! Yay I'm so glad you loved this as much as I did! You'e going to love the rest of the series too! Great review hon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lover of Romance~ Hey there! Thank you for coming over. Oh gosh, I am glad that you liked the review! I really did love this book!

    Janna (ErotRomReader)~ Aww honey, you are too sweet! This is a great start to a new series! Hugs to you honey and miss you!!

    Tricia~ Hey hon! Thanks for peeking over! OH gosh, I did love this book ~ so I am highly looking forward to the rest of this series! Hugs to you and hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *raises hand* I wouldn't mind a wolf from Vivian Arend! I've only read me two books from her hand but your review tells me I'm missing out on another serie, must remedy this *grin* Happy friday hon, hope you're doing good!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds great...going to get it now. Just ending my latest kindle book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leontine~ Oh honey believe me.... You will be raising your hand out for more than that, lol!!! heeheheh! Yeah, these men are just that hot!

    Carrie at In the Hammock~ Hey honey! Ohhhh you gotta love these wolves!!! They are delicious!

    ParaJunkee~ Hey honey! Thanks for stopping in! This is a great start to a wonderful series!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love a good wolf story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really liked this book - and I loved the fact that the heroine wasn't perfect (hearing loss) but that didn't stop her from being one tough chick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. carolsnotebook! Hey honey! Ohhhh this is an awesome wolf story!!!

    Patti (Book Addict)~ Hey honey! Ohhhh I love her, she is a trip! She made me giggle and love her at same time! =)

    ReplyDelete

I want to thank you for stopping by my place... I hope to see you again!!
I hope you enjoy my little bloggie home as much as I do!
With hugs, love and smiles... Cecile

My Fictional Smutty Boyfriend.... =)

"Quotes"