Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fly-By Review: ((Spoilers)) The Auction by Kitty Thomas

The Auction by Kitty Thomas

Belle Walker lives in a strict society where women are treated as property, sold to the highest bidder soon after their eighteenth birthday. But the auction isn’t the only danger. Though she’s never seen them, she knows monsters live outside the city. These creatures have allowed the humans a small area to inhabit with the promise to leave them in peace as long as they never cross the boundary. On the day Belle is sold, one of the monsters breaks that promise and enters the city, intent on having her as his own.

**This book is intended for an adult audience and contains master/slave, multiple partners, girl on girl, alien sex, and oral play.**

I obtained the above information from Smashwords website.

For those of you that know me... and those that don't this is my little statement about short books.... I do not judge short stories on the rush of their relationships, because they are just that - short stories. So, yes the relationships always could have been drawn out more, yea it seems like they fall in love to fast and of course the story could have been made longer... but it is a short story. So with that said.... here is my review...

I was given this book for an honest review and my honest thoughts, so here goes...

Warning - There are spoilers contained in this review!!! Please heed the warning... If you do not like spoilers... please skip to the last paragraph!

((This is from Ms. Kitty's post about the book: It’s a novella of about 20,000 words and that will take you 1-2 hours to read in general, depending on your reading speed. It would come out to about 80-85 book pages, depending on the interior layout.))

I believe this is Ms. Kitty's first sci-fi book to be written to date. Her creativity never ceases to amaze me. Her story lines, twist and turns always keep me on edge. And this story is no different.

This story is not a normal Kitty Thomas book, due to the fact that this is a sci-fi book. This is a unique story - for me to read. I am not a huge sci-fi reader... Okay, I am not a sci-fi reader at all... But this was quite the story to read. It is intriguing as well as entertaining. Suspenseful with a kick of kink (a different kind of kink).

This story takes place in another world and another time. Humans are the minority and they are afraid of the Monsters that lurk out of their area of living. The humans are only allowed to live in a restricted area - provided to them by the Monsters.
And to add injury to insult, the humans "auction" off their women to the highest bidder when they reach the age of eighteen. Their reasoning is to make money to buy their supplies needed for their colony. Some girls have wealthy parents to help pay their way out of it but others.... well... Others are not so fortunate. Some wind up with men that may treat them like their equals.... but some wind up with men that may treat them like a personal slave. Always reminding them that they own them.

We meet Annabelle, who is a smart-mouth, sassy, full of fire and spirit individual. She has turned eighteen and it is her turn on the "chopping block" (so to speak) of the auction. She has made it a point to make people think that she is a pain in the ass woman, so they would not want her... No one except Stephen. Annabelle made a "deal" with him a few years ago - I will provide a service for you if you promise to buy me. So there was no need for Annabelle to worry about being bought by anyone else but Stephen.... Or at least that is what she thought....

Once on the auction block, Annabelle thought her future was at least okay with Stephen buying her. She knew that he would never let her forget that he owned her, but it was better than a fate of not knowing who would buy her and what they would do to her. That is until this tall, dark stranger walked into the auction and bid on Annabelle..... And really outbid Stephen.

Life as Annabelle knew it was about to cease.... For who bought her... one of the Monsters....

There are a few things that Ms. Kitty makes the reader figure out for themselves. You will see what I mean while you are reading it. Since it is a short story, Ms. Kitty makes you figure out that the reason no one stopped the tall, dark stranger from purchasing Belle is because they did not know he was a Monster until he cloaked himself after the purchase.

Then there is the introduction of the fourth character, Lily. It is a very short introduction and the way she was brought into the house did not sit well with me. I would have really loved to have seen this character with more story history or preferably her own story because she is the intended mate for Sir - Master's brother.

The way Master and Sir allowed Lily to drink a "potion" of some sort in order for her to be uninhibited for what they had in store for her was not right because my issue is, why did they not offer the same treatment to Belle. But you will learn that even though it is not something you would be okay with, that they have rituals, customs, and rules by which they live.... and sharing your mate is one of them.

So, Master and Sir share their mates... Master is the darker, rougher of the two and Sir is the gentle, kinder monster. But they are brother and take care of each other and their mates.

I would love to learn more about Sir.... Master's brother. Actually, I would love to learn more about their world period. Ms. Kitty created a world where the norm is actually backwards... and has made it very mysterious. Except for the few issues I had with this story, it was a very intriguing story and a new take on the sci-fi world for me. I am looking for more story building on this story from Ms. Kitty. She really has me wanting to learn more about this world she created.

If you want to lose yourself for about an hour or two and jump into an unknown world... you need to pick up Ms. Kitty's book!

If you would like to see more information from Ms. Kitty Thomas, please visit her website here!

And remember... Keep it Dirty, Smutty & Hussy!
post signature

4 comments:

  1. It just sounds so freaky that I would like to read it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the different direction she took in this novella. Who knew dragon-aliens could be so hot? They are! Great review, Cecile. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Cecile.Sounds like a quick interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blodeuedd~ Hey honey! Thanks for peeking in! This was a very interesting read! I know it would pique your interest. I hope all is well for you and bf! Have a great weekend!

    Diana!! Hey there stranger! I hope all has been well for you and your family! Thanks for coming over! This was definitely an interesting book to say the least. A different kinda book from Ms. Kitty! Hugs to you honey and I hope all is well for you!

    Elaine~ Hey there honey! It was definitely a quick read but also very interesting! Hugs to you and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I want to thank you for stopping by my place... I hope to see you again!!
I hope you enjoy my little bloggie home as much as I do!
With hugs, love and smiles... Cecile

My Fictional Smutty Boyfriend.... =)

"Quotes"